We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started, And know the place for the first time. ~T.S. Eliot Four Quartets

21 November 2006

Thanksgiving

photo from nyctourist.com


I really miss Thanksgiving, living here in the UK. I never realised that it is my favourite holiday. I like the Christmas season, being festive and decorating the house, but its Thanksgiving that always felt so warm and inviting to me. I haven't had turkey in 12 years, granted, but that doesn't mean a big, delicious dinner doesn't happen. For me, Thanksgiving was always about friends and family. I loved having friends over, or going to theirs for dinner, watching the Macy's parade (even as an adult, I admit), and PUMPKIN PIE! I cannot stress how much I miss the pie!!!

I could try and make one this year, since I'm missing it so, I can't just go out to the store and pick up a ready made one. It also always felt like a relaxing holiday to me..I never had to travel anywhere and so didn't face the 'busiest travel day' of the year. It also just felt more about being thankful, enjoying everyone around you without the stress of gift giving, etc.
Even though I'm trying to keep this particular American tradition alive here and for my kids, it really is not the same. No days off work/school, no parade, and no PIE. So I'm wondering if there's a way of seeing the parade online.. I haven't had much luck searching that out though. Its going to be on tv, perhaps NBC will put it onto the website after the fact, don't know, but I am a bit disappointed. And no, going back to the states to celebrate is not an option.

No comments: