We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started, And know the place for the first time. ~T.S. Eliot Four Quartets

23 May 2007

Vegetarian Family


My husband and I have been veggie for about 12 years, if not longer. I can recall my early tries at giving up meat about 15 years ago. I was vegan for about five years, including during my first pregnancy. Both my children are being raised vegetarian and it is indeed not only possible, but also easy once you get the hang of it.

Yesterday my 16 month old daughter ate homemade chili with lentils, aduki beans, onions, tomatoes and served with bulgar wheat. It wasn't spicey hot. The same goes for my six year old. Both eat tofu, broccoli, brown bread and brown rice.. all essential building blocks for health. I've heard many parents complain that their kids won't touch veggies, but to me, you have to start as you mean to go on. It seems if you start young, from the start, then there's no reason they shouldn't eat them. Brown bread from the start, becomes the only bread there is! Of course they may grow up and detest lentils, but by then, it will be their choice and I will know at least they have had healthy foundations. There's also plenty of processed vegetarian stuff around, not like the 70's! The trick is not to give up if they don't eat it the first time, just re-introduce it again later, and again, this has worked well for daughter especially.

My son seems to be the only vegetarian that we know of at his school, but the school caters for veggies in the school dinners-- sometimes. They still need guidance in that Fish, is not vegetarian! But we pack lunch. If you are thinking about going veggie, or need some info about it, the vegetarian society has some useful tips. You can read seven tips to getting started here: http://www.vegsoc.org/newveg/fft/seven.html .

"What could be better than enjoying great tasting food that is not only good for your health, but also far better for the planet and the creatures that live with us upon it?" Sir Paul McCartney, Vegetarian Society Patron