We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started, And know the place for the first time. ~T.S. Eliot Four Quartets

13 June 2007

English raves


Not that kind of rave. Rather, rave as in what's new, what's fabulous, what am I raving on about??

As a non-native, I like to explore and dig into the nooks and crannies of the country, to really savour the difference, if there is one, of living here. One of my favourite things is finding locally produced things, supporting small businesses (as I am an entrepreneur at heart) and finding a good bargain. I have to say that I have been a skincare junkie for a long time... don't know how it got started but there you have it. What I look for now though, is organic if possible, but primarily natural.. I need to know what the ingredients are and what they mean. And in my explorations, I've discovered a few new raves.
Trevarno Organic, based in Cornwall (oh how I wish we'd move down there..) is situated on the Trevarno Estate and gardens which dates back to 1246. The skincare portion includes all handmade, organically certified products, slightly more expensive than some, but still great value for a top quality product. My favourite is the revitalising facial oil made with jojoba oil and vanilla..yum.

Pure Nuff Stuff is a small woman-run business also based in Cornwall, in the picturesque sand swept region of Penzance. All the products produced are organic and very natural, not to mention well priced! I have been a fan of Neal's Yard Remedies for years, (another English staple) and while they are decently priced and natural, I am amazed at the quality of the new products out there, that are even cheaper (no I won't leave you neal's yard..). Why anyone would pay department store prices is beyond me.. with these small organic businesses, you get top quality, freshness, no animal testing and no funky long-winded preservatives. And if you know me, you know I've rambled on before about ditching the big multi-nationals, [which frankly overcharge for products that a good percentage of the time don't do what they say will do] in favour of supporting small business. You can also pay even less at times for a better product than you might do in your average Boots or supermarket.
This lip balm by Crazy Rumors, is not made in England, but is a new discovery on my part and just perfect for coffee lovers like myself. The creators are from New York, and also do lip balms for tea lovers too. I found this through OliveOrganic, an English family-run business that sources all manner of lovely organic and original products. All except Trevarno can ship internationally.. I believe Trevarno is working on shipping to the US in the near future.


No comments: