We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started, And know the place for the first time. ~T.S. Eliot Four Quartets

09 November 2006



Looking at American politics from this distance I feel a certain detachment..I am much more submerged in British politics but that's the result of living in it. When this president Bush was elected in 2000, I had been living in Scotland for two years and was equally detached and about to return to witness life under his reign. We went back in January 2001 and well, that was a momentous year for America. Its now two years once again that I am living away from my birthplace and I hadn't been following much about the politics at all... I did have the chance to vote in 2004, but to no effect. My family have been democrats all my life, and John Kerry was not any better of a choice, (they both went to Yale together afterall) but I did vote democratic and am now happy to see the shift that has just happened.

Its a shame that these things always seem to happen in hindsight though (12 years since Democrats controlled the House & Senate??). The American people don't seem to exhibit much forethought.. i.e. how about not invading a country or two in the first place... and then what about an 'exit' strategy??... We don't seem to learn from our mistakes . But having this Bush go down in history as a lame duck will be some recompence, and getting rid of the devil-aka-Rumsfeld is also a cause for celebration. The best one though, I reserve for Nancy Pelosi and the history making as the first woman Speaker of the House. That's got to be worth something.

No comments: