We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started, And know the place for the first time. ~T.S. Eliot Four Quartets

06 November 2006

National Adoption Month

There is alot going on in November and one thing that I've learned about is that November is National Adoption Awareness Month (US/UK). This is a month to increase awareness of the thousands of children in foster homes awaiting adoption in the United States. Although I have not adopted children myself, it is a personal issue for me as I was adopted at birth. My adoptive mother told me about my origins early in life so I have always known it. I have had the good fortune, as I see it, to meet my birth mother as well. I began searching for my genealogical roots when I was 18 and at age 24 I located my maternal grandmother and then my birth mother. This was a complicated and hard decision to make, and although my mother did respond initially, it wasn't until 10 years later that she would welcome a relationship. I wasn't intending on a relationship when I began searching, just answers.

Two years ago my adoptive mother passed away and I consider her to have been one of my greatest teachers in this life. Both my birth mother and I are now building our relationship at this middle stage of our lives. I don't know if I will adopt a child myself, but I would never rule it out. I believe strongly in karma, and that means you have the child you are meant to, and they get the parents they need. There are children all over the world in need of loving and stable homes, and not just babies either. When I was adopted it was a secretive and private thing, whereas now its alot more open and accepted, especially for adopting cross-culturally. I'm putting up some links here if anyone is interested in more info.
www.childwelfare.gov
www.national-adoption-month.adoption.com
www.adoption-net.co.uk

No comments: