We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started, And know the place for the first time. ~T.S. Eliot Four Quartets

14 November 2006

Veggie chicken soup for the soul

Its a blustery day today and my son is upstairs asleep in his bed, not at school. He woke up at 5am complaining he didn't feel well, somewhat stuffed up and coughing. At 8am I went in to see him and thought maybe he just didn't want to go to school today--he didn't really seem that ill. But we've been absolutely stomped by colds in this house the past month and none of us has properly recovered. Up until now, I've been able to fight them off for myself taking Spirulina. Then came the stomach bug which really laid me low and I am still recovering with the perpetual snotty nose.

The fact that my son is asleep now tells me he really is not well. The real test (which he doesn't know) for me as to how he feels is by how much energy he has.. and that's usually boundless. So when he doesn't want to fight me for the computer, watch tv or play with his toys, then I know he's not good. So I'm making up a batch of vegetarian chicken soup--Tarragon Leek Soup. This is one my fav recipes that I've carried along with me over the years in my beat up recipe folder..of course I no longer need to follow the recipe, but thought I'd share it here anyway. Its good for non-veggies too as its packed full of goodness. It originated from the Vegetarian Times magazine.

1 Tbs olive oil
4 medium leeks (white & pale green parts) sliced
3 cloves garlic

2 tbs whole wheat flour
1/2 cup tomato juice
4 cups vegetable stock or canned broth
1 can chopped tomatoes
1 tsp honey or rice syrup
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh tarragon
1 bay leaf
salt & pepper to taste


In a large pot heat oil over medium heat and add leeks and garlic, stirring often, until leeks are soft, about 5 minutes. Add flour and cook, stirring constantly over low heat 2-3 minutes. Slowly stir in tomato juice, stock and tomatoes. Cook until mixture thickens, about 5 minutes. Add honey, tarragon and bay leaf, cover and cook for 10 minutes.

Remove bay leaf. I then like to blend it up because my son will not eat it all chunky.

No comments: