We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started, And know the place for the first time. ~T.S. Eliot Four Quartets

10 December 2006

My top ten











I admit I got this idea from another great blog (not in the exact same way though) and found its a great way to reflect on the year just ending, as well as thinking about some of the reasons I'm living here. So here's my top ten things I like about living in Britain (even though I'm in England, that includes my love of Scotland):

1. The countryside.
2. Rambling (through the countryside!)
3. British TV/British comedians-comediennes.
4. Stone Circles /drystone walls.
5. Free healthcare
6. Proximity to Europe.
7. Proximity to the Sea.
8. 300+ year old buildings.
9. Pubs and scones (not that they go together).
10. Open air markets.

and the other side of the coin: the top ten things I don't like about living here:
1. Too much rain.
2. Distance from America (and friends)
3. TV licenses (you have to pay to watch!)
4. Too much CCTV (doesn't deter anyone)
5. British reservedness (can come across as unfriendliness)
...well I guess that's pretty good since I can't think of five more things I truly dislike about the place!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Since I am an expat in the other direction (UK to Florida), your post has suddenly made me very homesick! There's an awful lot I do not miss about Britain, but your list of 10 items are all things I do miss, especially free healthcare!

Very nice site! I'll be visiting often.