We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started, And know the place for the first time. ~T.S. Eliot Four Quartets

10 January 2007

Recycle the love


I seem to be suffering some writers block..perhaps its new year's deflation or the rain or ..
I am working on writing up a business plan, which is daunting for sure, its not that I don't know the plan, I do, its getting it all down on paper and in a persuasive manner that's giving me the trouble.

While I do that, I want to mention
Freecycle, a site that I have just discovered and recently joined in my local area. For my Chicago friends, I hope you will check out the local groups there, as it really is a wonderful thing and I can only imagine the booty flying around a big city like that. My local group is very active and things seem to go in a blink.

What is it? Well there are over 3 million members worldwide and its all about giving and getting for free. If you have something you no longer want, but don't want to throw it away, someone, somewhere is likely to want it. Its "one's man trash is another man's (or woman's!) treasure" made visible, but more than that, its about fostering community and keeping things out of the landfill.

Nicknamed 'freebay' (free ebay..) it started in Tucson Arizona in 2003 and the main rule is that everything must be free, legal and appropriate for all ages. I read one posting by someone who couldn't believe it was actually free..they tried to charge £5 for something... and were promptly told off! And its not rubbish either..in my group there have been mobile phones, computers, building materials, books, clothing etc... I personally do a lot of donating to charity shops, which I will continue to do, but I also plan to make use of this system as well..you can find people who want exactly what you don't, and vice versa..sometimes you get lucky in a charity shop, but if you can't find what you want there, and don't want to buy new, then freecycle is for you.
Recycle, barter, return to the old ways!! Buck the system and SHARE!! What a simple but effective concept!

No comments: