We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started, And know the place for the first time. ~T.S. Eliot Four Quartets

14 April 2007

Sunshine and daydreams


Just living is not enough . . . One must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower - Hans Christian Andersen
Its an absolutely glorious spring day (almost summerlike day) here and with the two week school break winding down to its last day, we've been out paddling in the river and sitting in the pub beer garden today. The absence of a garden is really felt on days like today. I miss my acre of land that we had back in America, where we'd spend most of the day on days like this, followed by nights around the firepit. Alas, no garden here, but as the universe compensates, it has landed us in a place known as a 'village in bloom'. The whole village is a garden and there are plenty of public spots to enjoy, like the riverside, the park, and endless walking paths into the surrounding hills.

I can't complain really, and even the small house doesn't bother on a day like this, it just kicks you out into the fresh air. I've really enjoyed the past two weeks, no schedules, no school run, just doing what we feel like. I'm not saying there hasn't been times of tension and hair pulling (my own), but it reminded me of the good life of homeschooling. Don't know if we will do that again with our son, but I can't deny the sense of freedom it gives. The week has ended on a positive note, with the weather conspiring to lift even the hardest of spirits, and I am looking forward to tommorrow as I enjoy today.


Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves. -John Muir

No comments: