We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started, And know the place for the first time. ~T.S. Eliot Four Quartets

06 July 2007

Sumptuous Summer Reads

I am still stiff in the neck, arms, and back from my hopped-up-on- caffeine day yesterday.. I had a fantastic driving lesson, drove from Halifax -back home, which is about 3 miles or so, and I didn't stall or panic the instructor! I am learning manual for those who don't know this already, and although I've been a driver for 25 years, I never learned manual before. I am really happy about it, and feeling so much more natural and confident than I did about 7 years ago when I tried to learn.

I also had a job interview yesterday, first in I don't know how many years, and it was nerve wracking. I don't think I got the job, but I'm not too worried as my gut was really saying to me that I dont want to leave my daughter just yet.. not full time anyway. So chalk it up to experience. Today has been much more relaxing and I've been discovering my summer reading list.

Granted, I'll be lucky if I get through all of these, and then there's Harry Potter as well. I'm still making my way through the Chamber of Secrets with my son, who is just now (6 and 3/4 years old) discovering the wonder of Hogwarts. In between his reading, I seem to have picked somewhat of a world war II era theme, with Suite Francaise, The Gift of Rain (just before WWII I think) and The Book Thief.

Being Jewish in WW II time resonates deeply with me, and since I believe in reincarnation, I feel that it resonates because I have lived it. Still, I have much to learn and thus seek out information wherever I can. Not all of these reads are related to that of course, and I also favour women's stories such as A Thousand Splendid Suns which tells the story of a woman's life under Taliban rule in Afghanistan. The 1920's is also an era that I really relate to and that is also on my list, this time in England at The House at Riverton. I also can't forget my lovely city of Chicago and will be reading Sin in the Second City by Karen Abbot, just as soon as it is available here.
The hopeful summer reading list then:

A Thousand Splendid Suns by Kaled Hosseini
Sin in the Second City by Karen Abbot
The Gift of Rain by Tan Twan Eng
Suite Francaise by Irene Nemirovsky
The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
The House at Riverton by Kate Morton

No comments: