We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started, And know the place for the first time. ~T.S. Eliot Four Quartets

26 November 2007

Giving Thanks

I didn't keep my son home from school on Thanksgiving, as there were a few special things going on that he wanted to be there for-- although he would have happily stayed home too! My husband was also working and so it just seemed a bit pointless to try and make a holiday out of it. Seeing my disappointment I think, my husband suggested we celebrate on Sunday when we can all relax and have a big meal. So that's what we did yesterday. I decided on a less traditional dinner, with gratin potatoes with cheese and onions instead of roasted or mash, and some roasted chestnuts. That's our vegetarian Quorn roast, potatoes, sage and onion stuffing and veggies. It's a scaled down version of most Thanksgiving dinners of course, since there's only four of us. In fact it was more like an English sunday roast (well, except that its vegetarian of course), which now that its winter, we are getting more regular at doing.

I have encountered this quote several times over the past few days, maybe because its that time of year, but it's good to think about at any time of year. So I'm passing it along here:

“Gratitude unlocks the fullness of life. It turns what we have into enough, and more. It turns denial into acceptance, chaos to order, confusion to clarity. It can turn a meal into a feast, a house into a home, a stranger into a friend. Gratitude makes sense of our past, brings peace for today, and creates a vision for tomorrow.” -Melody Beattie

No comments: