Mid-September is when we have our meeting the multi-displinary team that have been assessing my son for ASD (an autistic spectrum disorder, possibly Asperger's) and once they make (or not, as the case may be) a diagnosis, that 'evidence' will be presented for the appeal. The fact is though, it could still be up to 6 months before any actual help is forthcoming for him in school, which means he'll be well into year 4. Considering that we are not located in a big metropolitan area, you'd think that they could sort this stuff out a lot quicker. In the meantime, my son has come off the medication. We stopped the Equasym (methalphenidate) as it seemed to be making him worse, high-strung, sleepless, aggressive, no appetite, etc. And it now feels like we have our son back.. he just wasn't himself on that med and it wasn't for him and I feel better about it.
But it doesn't end there, oh no.. my daughter has had a referral to a speech therapist and apparently she is delayed by 6 months. While I am now accepting of this fact, as I was aware that if one sibling has ASD, the other is more likely to as well, I never ever imagined that I'd have two children with some sort of learning/neurological impairment, but then as Joseph Campbell has said, "We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us."