We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started, And know the place for the first time. ~T.S. Eliot Four Quartets

24 October 2007

Making and baking..

I can't believe I have never actually made bread before now. I seem to have some vague recollection of perhaps attempting it many many moons ago, but can't really recall it. So with the school break it seemed like the quintessential thing to do with the kids.

Well with one child only. We did it while the little toddler slept! Sneaky I know, but I thought the first time was going to be enough of a trial without little toddler hands slinging about as well. As it turned out, it went really smoothly and the mess was easily cleaned. Although it doubled its size before going into the oven, it came out a bit hmm, doughy. We were not prepared with a bread tin or anything, so it wasn't shaped too well. Nevertheless, it was a seeded loaf and very very tasty. I usually avoid bread due to bloating, but was told that fresh baked bread with wild yeast and no additives does not cause bloating.
So far I don't notice any, and the bread was tucked into before I had a chance to photo the end result! But you can still see the steam rising off it. Yum, I think a bread machine may be on the cards...

No comments: